We're an affiliate. We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Camping is all about enjoying the great outdoors and connecting with nature. After a day of hiking, exploring, or simply relaxing surrounded by breathtaking landscapes, there’s nothing quite like settling down at the campsite with a delicious, comforting meal. The best camping dinners are not only easy to prepare but also satisfying and flavorful, turning your wilderness experience into a memorable culinary adventure.
There’s a wide array of simple yet tasty camping dinner ideas to choose from, whether you’re using a portable stove, a campfire, or a Dutch oven. With a bit of creativity and clever ingredient choices, you can whip up filling and nutritious meals that everyone will love. From one-pot wonders to scrumptious skewers, these camping meal ideas will fuel you up for your next day’s adventures.
So grab your camping gear and get ready to tantalize your taste buds under the stars with these fantastic camping dinner ideas that cater to various cooking methods and dietary preferences. Your camping trip just got a whole lot tastier.
Top Camping Dinner Ideas
When you’re planning a camping trip, having delicious and filling dinner ideas is essential to keep your energy levels high and enjoy the beauty of nature. Here are some top camping dinner ideas that are perfect for your next adventure.
Campfire Nachos: A super easy and scrumptious dish, campfire nachos are great for sharing with friends and family. Simply layer tortilla chips with your favorite nacho toppings (beans, cheese, salsa, etc.), wrap it all in foil, and cook it over the campfire for a satisfying meal.
Shrimp Boil Foil Packets: For seafood lovers, shrimp boil foil packets are an easy and flavorful option. Mix together shrimp, corn, potatoes, and seasonings, then wrap them tightly in foil before placing them on the grill or campfire. This dish is not only tasty, it also requires minimal cleanup.
Campfire Pizza: Who said you can’t enjoy pizza outdoors? Make some dough ahead of time, or buy pre-made pizza dough, then spread it out on a cast iron pan or griddle. Add your favorite toppings and cook it over the campfire for a rustic and satisfying dinner.
One Pot Chili Mac: This comforting and filling combination of chili and mac and cheese is perfect after a long day of hiking. Cook pasta, ground meat, beans, and seasonings together in a single pot, and top it off with some cheese for a mouthwatering meal.
Campfire Grilled Fish Tacos: Fresh fish, a zesty marinade, and crisp vegetables make these tacos an ideal camping dinner. Grill marinated fish over the campfire before adding it to your tortillas with your choice of toppings like avocado, salsa, and lime.
Dutch Oven Enchiladas: Bring some Mexican flair to your campsite with easy Dutch oven enchiladas. Layer tortillas, sauce, cheese, and desired fillings, then cook them in a Dutch oven over the campfire for a warm and inviting dinner.
Pineapple Chicken Kabobs: For a sweet and savory meal, try pineapple chicken kabobs on the grill or campfire. Thread cubed chicken, pineapple, and your favorite veggies like bell peppers and onions onto skewers before cooking them to perfection.
Foil Packet Dinners: Versatile and convenient, foil packet dinners can be customized to include your favorite ingredients. From seasoned chicken and vegetables to cheesy potatoes and sausage, simply wrap your chosen combination of ingredients in foil and cook them over the campfire until fully cooked.
Delicious One Pot Camping Meals
When you’re out camping, the last thing you want to do is spend hours cooking and cleaning up. That’s where one pot meals come in handy. They’re easy to prepare, delicious, and minimize the number of dishes you’ll need to clean. Here are some mouth-watering ideas to try during your next camping trip:
- One Pot Pasta: A simple and satisfying meal that’s perfect after a day of outdoor activities. Just toss your favorite pasta, vegetables (like tomatoes, bell peppers, or zucchini), and a protein source (such as chicken or sausage) into a pot, cover with water or broth, and cook until everything is tender. Add some herbs and seasoning, and enjoy your comforting meal under the stars.
- Dutch Oven Red Beans and Rice: A classic and hearty comfort food that’s easy to make at the campsite. Combine the ingredients (red beans, rice, onions, bell peppers, garlic, and andouille sausage) in a Dutch oven, add seasonings, and let it cook slowly over the campfire or a portable stove. It’s not only delicious but also a great source of energy for your next day’s adventure.
- Jambalaya: A Louisiana favorite, jambalaya shines as a one pot camping meal. With its mix of rice, vegetables, and proteins like sausage and chicken (or shrimp if you’re feeling fancy), this meal is packed with flavor. Cook everything together in a pot or Dutch oven, and you’ll have a delicious dinner in no time.
- If you’re in the mood for something more international, try a camping-style paella. In a large pot, cook your choice of meat or seafood, vegetables like peppers and tomatoes, and rice with spices like saffron and smoked paprika. It might not be exactly like the traditional Spanish dish, but it’ll be a delicious and filling meal after a long day outdoors.
Hearty Stews and Chilies Ideal for Campfire
When you’re out camping, nothing beats a warm and satisfying meal like a hearty stew or chili cooked over a campfire. With the right ingredients and a trusty Dutch oven, you can create mouth-watering dishes that will keep you cozy and full after a day of outdoor adventures.
One popular option is campfire chili. This classic dish can be easily prepared using a Dutch oven, which distributes heat evenly and maintains a consistent temperature. Start by browning your choice of meat (ground beef, turkey, or even a vegetarian substitute), then add in some kidney beans, tomatoes, onions, and your favorite spices to create a rich and flavorful meal.
If you’re craving something a little different, consider a sweet potato peanut stew. This African-inspired dish combines sweet potatoes, peanut butter, garbanzo beans, and various spices. It’s perfect for vegetarians and can be enjoyed with a side of rice or quinoa, making it a filling and nutritious option. The stew can even be made ahead of time, allowing you to simply reheat it over the campfire when you’re ready to eat.
Another tasty alternative you can try is making your own lentil sloppy joes. It’s not only a delicious meal but also a healthier spin on the classic American favorite. Simply cook lentils with some onions, bell peppers, and tomato sauce, then serve it on a bun for a no-fuss, comforting dinner.
Here are some other hearty stews and chilies perfect for campfire cooking:
- Beef and vegetable stew: Brown some beef cubes, then add in your choice of vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs before enjoying a warm, comforting meal.
- White bean and turkey chili: For a lighter alternative, try a chili made with ground turkey and white beans. Add in some corn, onions, and your favorite spices for a flavorful dish.
- Dutch oven chili: Utilize your Dutch oven to create a chili that becomes even more delicious as it slow cooks over the campfire. Include a mix of meat, beans, tomatoes, and spices for a crowd-pleasing meal.
Grilled Delicacies for Camping Outdoors
When you’re out camping, nothing beats the satisfaction of enjoying a delicious meal by the campfire. Grilling can be a fantastic way to bring out the flavors of your camping dinner. Here are some scrumptious grilled dishes you can easily whip up during your next outdoor adventure.
Grilled Fish Tacos: A light and flavor-packed option for dinner is grilled fish tacos. You can choose from a variety of fish, such as tilapia, cod, or mahi-mahi. Season your fish fillets with salt, pepper, and your favorite blend of spices, then wrap them in foil and grill over the campfire. Serve the grilled fish in corn or flour tortillas, and top with fresh cabbage slaw, diced tomatoes, and a zesty lime-cilantro cream sauce.
Bacon-Wrapped Delights: We all know everything’s better with bacon! For a camping twist, try wrapping your favorite meats, vegetables, or even fruits in bacon. Asparagus, jalapeño poppers, and pineapple chunks are just a few tasty options. Cooking them over the campfire brings out delicious smokey flavors. Pro tip: Use toothpicks to hold the bacon securely in place while grilling.
Beer Brats: This classic dish is perfect for a hearty evening meal. First, boil your bratwurst sausages in your favorite beer, adding sliced onions and a touch of garlic for extra flavor. Once they’re cooked through, transfer them to a grill rack and cook over the campfire until the skin is nicely charred. Serve the brats in toasted buns, topped with the beer-infused onions and a dollop of mustard.
Don’t forget to bring a portable camping grill or use a campfire grilling grate to make these delicious grilled dishes a part of your camping experience.
We’re passionate about getting the most from your car when it comes to going on adventures and road trips. When you take one of these trips you often need more room in your car than you usually would. This is when we come in, to help you find the best roof tent for your car and needs.